Construction on Old Red Courthouse originally began in March of 1890. The sixth building (and the fifth county courthouse) to occupy the site, Old Red was designed in the Richardson Romanesque style by M.A. Orlopp. It was originally crowned with a clock tower, the clockwork rivaling Big Ben's in quality, but the tower was removed in 1919 when prevailing winds threatened its stability. The grand stairway, an ornate design feature that provided passage between the busy floors, was removed in the 1920s.